Sunday, January 28, 2007

Storm

Storm

It pounds upon your heart
Like the unforgiving rain
Beating a steady rhythm
With lightning cracks of pain
The loud roar of thunder
Whispers promise of despair
Leaving shattered pieces
Of a heart without repair
They lift you up then thrust you down
With gusts of faith and love
As you struggle they blow stronger
Taunting loudly from above
It swallows you whole and locks you inside
As the tears roll down your chin
You grasp for some comfort, but feel nothing
Where your loved one’s hand should’ve been
This too shall pass they say with a sigh
You will soon make it out of the storm
But the wind still blows and the lightning cracks
Never again will you feel so warm



This is the poem I wrote for the first term writing assignment. It actually made into the top ranking or something, so what can I say, I wanted to show it off! No, I just thought it showed off my best writing skills, and I needed something to write for honors english.


This poem was written around a time where lots of sad things were happening to my friends. One of my good friend's brother died and watching her go through that horrible experience really made me want to write. I write to get out my feelings, and this poem is sort of dedicated to my friend. I've personally never dealt with something that tragic, but I felt like in some ways I could relate, and that became my poem. I guess you could call it sort of like a metaphor. The "storm" is just a rough patch in your life. And the lightning and the wind is just everything that crashes down on you when you are most vonerable. The part about missing your loved one's hand is really for my friend who lost her brother. She needed him so bad, and he wasn't there. And even though everybody around her told her it was going to be ok, including me, she knew, and everybody knew, her life would never be the same.


I guess when I wrote this poem, I really wanted to say these things to my friend, but couldn't put it together in words. Writing was my outlet for her. In a way I was trying to put her feelings on paper. I was trying to release her from her pain with my poem. I don't know if I really succeeded, but it made me feel better about the whole thing. What I am trying to say is that sometimes writing down your feelings and turning them into poetry is the best way to help yourself, and possibly others.

No comments: