Sunday, December 17, 2006

A Date?

"Ummmm...well...I was wondering if you wanted to go to the Pizza Parlor?"

"Like, with you?"

"Uhhh..yeah."

I smiled to myself as I listened to him stumble over his words. It was cute, in that pathetic sort of way.

"Well.......let me check." I threw the phone onto my bed and went to question my father. "Hey dad." His response was a half hearted grunt. "Umm..Waldo wants to know if I can go get pizza with him."

"So....What are you talking to me for?"

"Well...can I?"

"Do you want to?"

"Yeah I guess."

"Do I know this kid?"

"Yeah dad, he's lived down the street for 5 years."

"Yeah, you can go."

I ran back up to my room and held the phone to my ear. "Waldo, I can go for pizza with you."

"Ok," he said with no enthusiasm what so ever. I heard him start to hang up the phone.

"Waldo!" I stopped him. "Are you gonna pick me up or what?"

"Oh yeah. I guess so."

"May I ask what time?"

"Uhhhh, like, like at 3:30."

"Ok, I'll be ready. See ya lat," he hung up. I stared at the phone shaking my head. For a guy who wants to take me out to eat, he has a freakin' weird way of showing it.

I immeadetly started to get ready for my "outing". Even though Waldo was kinda awkward, he was still my friend, and I wanted to look hot. Everything was going fine until I was faced with my closet. Nothing seemed to look cute. My jeans were too casual, but my heels were too fancy. It was cold, but I wouldn't be caught dead in my huge marshmallow coat. Finally I settled on a zip up jacket, a neck scarf, and my nicest pair of jeans. After 20 minutes of checking myself out in the mirror, I was satisfied. 3:20, only ten minutes before Waldo would be here. I sat on the couch and flipped through the channels. As images of music videos, cooking shoes, and Oprah popped up on the screen, all I could do was worry. Oh man, I thought. I hope he doesn't think this means we are together or something. I like him and all, but we are just friends. Oh no! What if he thinks I am in love with him and he asks me out every weekend for the rest of my Jr. High life. And I will be too sympathetic to turn him down and every weekend will be spent in a total state of awkwardness!

The doorbell rang. STOP IT I thought to myself. This is going to be fun, Rosie. Just be nice, smile a lot, act normal, and don't lead him on. With my confidence in tact, I turned off the T.V. and answered the door. My dad stood protectively behind me as smiled to meet Waldo.

"Hi," I said.

"Hello," replied Waldo.

"Yes, hello Waldo," boomed my father.

"Ok, bye dad," I kissed my dad and the cheek and stepped out the front door. Waldo smiled awkwardly at me and headed for the car without a word. My stomache churned as I realized how weird this night was going to be. "7 o'clock, Rosie," said my dad, looking at Waldo. I turned around to watch my dad shut the door. I desperately wanted to run back to my daddy and forget all about going places with strange boys. The front door shut and it was too late. Waldo and his father were waiting in the car, and I stood there staring at them like they were going to kidnap me. Rosie, you can do this, I thought. He is just a boy. The four year old voice then chimed into my mind. But I want my daddy. I don't want to go out with Waldo. No, Rosie, you are fourteen. Come on! The voices in my head wrestled each other as I made my way to the car.



To be continued.................

No comments: